Carrot Hot Dogs can be topped any way you like. Plus, they’re grillable which make them great for vegan summer BBQ’s! Leave the unhealthy mock meats at the store and slide a carrot between those buns instead! Grilling, stovetop and oven directions included!
When I got around to trying vegan carrot dogs, I was amazed at how good they were! They actually taste like what I remembered of a hotdog!! My family was thoroughly impressed as well. My daughter devoured hers with ketchup and mustard and now asks for them all the time!
Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs
So let’s make some perfect looking vegan dogs that will fool even your meat eating Uncle! Start by picking out large carrots. Keep in mind, the thicker the carrot the more it will fill out the bun. Once you’ve selected some “hotdog” sized carrots cut them to bun length, leaving an extra 1/2’’ on each end of the carrot. Now, like a sculptor to a blank marble, get your peeler out and chisel some perfect looking carrot dogs. Peel them shaping and rounding the edges for a more uniform “hotdog” appearance. Then all that’s left is boiling, marinating and cooking the carrots for that healthier vegan dog!
I kept this recipe simple because I was overwhelmed thinking of hot dog toppings to please everyone. These carrot hot dogs can be dressed classic with mustard and ketchup or loaded with avocado for an avo-dog! The possibilities are endless!
These carrots are smoky, salty and have an eerie hot dog resemblance …but in a good, healthy way because it’s a carrot! So don’t feel left out, bring these vegan carrot hot dogs to your next get together with a side of pasta salad!
Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs are a grill-able healthier alternative to mock meats. Top them any way you like! Grilling, stovetop and oven directions below!
20 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
Yields 8-10 Carrot Hot Dogs
5 based on 1 review(s)
8-10 organic carrots, peeled and cut to size
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons tamari
3 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Boil the prepped carrots for about 10 min to soften them until they are just fork tender. You don't want to fully cook the carrots, but the fork shouldn't have too much resistance going in. Think hot dog tender. I test the carrots by poking one with a fork. Once the fork pierces the center of the carrot without too much force they’re done.
- While the carrots boil, prep the marinade. Mix all the ingredients in a shallow glass dish.
- Remove the carrots from the hot water and poke them a few times with a fork. This will allow them to absorb more marinade. Now add the carrots to the marinade.
- Marinate them in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Overnight is best for more flavor. Rotate the carrots a few times for an even coating.
- Grill the carrots on a gas or charcoal grill until heated throughout and grill marks have formed. (about 5-8 minutes)
- Flip and heat for another 2-3 minutes to add grill marks to the other side.
- Preheat oven to 415ºF.
- Place carrot dogs on a cast iron grill or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 min, then flip each carrot dog and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully place the carrots in your skillet. Heat on each side for about 5 minutes or until heated throughout.
*Disclosure: This post contains / may contain affiliate links.